Monday 4 July 2011

In search of truffles, Daylesford

It was a crisp and windy Saturday morning as Mum and I drove out to Blakeville, about 10 minutes out of Daylesford, Victoria. Our mission: to witness the uncovering of the first truffles to be grown in the area. This is the second year this event has run, but this would be the first year to produce truffles.
As we listened intently to Tim Terry, pioneer Australian truffle grower from Truffles Australis in Tasmania, explain the process of growing truffles, our anticipation began to rise. 
The plantation we were fortunate to be visiting has been there about 4 years and rumour had it today was the day for finding their very first truffle. A few minutes later, with the help of a trusty canine, cheers erupted from the 50 or so of us present. They had found one!
The perfume of the truffle was instantly detectable. The earthy, smokey, unique aroma wafted around on the morning breeze, and became quite enticing.
Following our little truffle search, we headed in to 'Sault' restaurant in Daylesford. I have dined at 'Sault' before, so I knew the food would be incredible, and we were very excited for our first taste of truffle. One look at the menu was enough to know we were in for a treat.
My first taste of truffle left me wanting more. The perfume is so intense, that I was surprised by the subtly of the flavour. But despite being so subtle, there was a definite lingering of flavour on my palate long after I has finished each dish. The taste itself, is indescribable. Being so unique in flavour it is beyond comparison to anything I've tasted before. My favourite dish was the entree. Beautifully cooked scallops, complimented by the earthy truffles, and balanced with the sweetness of the pear and amazing creamy celeriac puree. Still makes my mouth water thinking of it.
This was a lovely way to spend a Saturday, particularly with the winter sun streaming in our corner window, the great company, and fabulous food. And what did Jen think...




1 comment:

  1. Great story Holly. And you don't have to go to France to find truffles! Got your card the other day. Wonderful picture of you two at Machu Picchu!

    ReplyDelete