Friday 25 May 2012

Sew busy of late!

Well, shock of all shocks, I have actually followed through on something. The last two weeks have been a blur of trips to Spotlight, catching up with family and friends, feeding the baby, and the soft purr of the sewing machine. I have been sewing up a storm at home, so much so that once I forgot to shower and served poor Aaron toast for dinner. I am reminded of the time in my life my Mum discovered quilting, and was so busily making her first quilt to show we ate cheese sandwiches for dinner for about a week. It has become strangely addictive, and I am loving the finished products I am starting to turn out. Don't get me wrong, I have had some severe learning curves to navigate, like the block I had to unpick 3 times and my first experience will bias binding (thank goodness for YouTube), but on the whole I am happy with what's been coming off the sewing bench.

My first project was a hand sewn one. These wee little felt Russian dolls are super cute, and relatively   easy to make, though a bit fiddley to cut some of the flowers out. I have given some as gifts, and plan to string some up to hang over Ruby's change table.


They are only very small, about 5cm, and I really enjoyed making them. I have also put a little bell inside a couple, like a little rattle and they are pretty sweet too.


With great thanks to April Rhodes, whose template and tutorial for these little beauties is available at Sew to Speak.

More of my sewing attempts to come!
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment