Tuesday 1 May 2012

Homemade lemon cordial



My life has been full of blessings of late, the greatest of which is undoubtedly our tiny baby girl - Ruby Grace, born on March 30th. As I have adjusted to a life of less sleep, less freedom and having a little being who is totally dependant on me, I have felt both elated and overwhelmed. In a desperate bid to start feeling like my old self is not completely lost to this new stage of motherhood I headed to where I feel most like me - the kitchen. However with no idea of when my little cherub is likely to awaken, I decided to shoot with something simple.
This lemon cordial is a deliciously sweet and zesty, and keeps for ages in the fridge (though it doesn't last long in our house). This recipe comes from the Grow It! cooking workshops I attended last year run by our local Surf Coast Energy Group (SCEG).
I have halved their original recipe with the quantities below.

Lemon Cordial
  • 2kg white sugar
  • 1 litre water
  • 30gm citric acid
  • 30gm tartaric acid
  • juice of 10 lemons
  • zest of 3 lemons (wash well before zesting, can be soaked in apple cider vinegar if wax coated)
  1. In a large saucepan, dissolve the sugar in the water over a high heat, stirring frequently. This will take a little while, but when it really gets to boil it will all of sudden turn clear again and then it is ready.
  2. Add acids and stir well.
  3. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before adding the zest and juice.
  4. Allow to cool before transferring to clean bottles.
This quantity makes about 2 litres of cordial. Store in the fridge after opening. Delicious with soda water for a sparkling sweet treat.

xx


No comments:

Post a Comment