Monday 9 May 2011

Treats of the Inca Trail

I have to admit I was a little concerned about the food we would encounter during the Inca Trail trek. I know now I needn´t have worried. The food was good, and in abundance. Our days started with pancakes, toast, porridge (quinoa and oatmeal), and coca tea. Lunch was a banquet including soup, then rice, a meat dish, chicken or fish, poatoes and salad. Always a few types of potatoes, always at least one thing battered and fried, always plenty for everyone. Lunch included a sweet of the likes of banana with dulce de leche, or a choclate soup one day (a bit weird, but good). 
We´d be greeted in the evening by hot chocolate or more coca tea, and mountains of popcorn and cookies, before repeating the a similar lunch time feast again for dinner. I haven´t seen so many types of potato dishes since I lived in Ireland.
All the food was well prepared, no one got sick, and somehow the porters managed to cart all the stuff up there for us. Amazing experience, and possibly the only 4 day hike I´ve ever done where I think I actually gained weight!

2 comments:

  1. Just seeing your wonderful photo and reading the description makes me nostalgic for our time on the Inca Trail. Such an amazing experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also remember fondly the bowl of soup each evening after our daily trek.

    ReplyDelete