Friday 20 May 2011

Alfajores


Oh the Alfajores, the reason my jeans seem to be getting tighter by the second. I am not usually a sweet tooth, much more a savoury girl, but these little treats are just too good to pass up on. This version of the national cookie originated here in Mar del Plata, and is sold widely in the country and overseas now. The alfajored is two biscuits, sandwiched together with dulce de leche (caramel), and covered with a thin layer of merengue (as shown) or dark chocolate. Both exceptionally good, however after some extensive research, I have decided I prefer the merengue coated version. 
I have been informed that the alfajores change slightly varying on which region you are in in Argentia. In Salta, in the North of the country, the biscuits were quite short tasting, I think there they are made with corn flour there, so are quite light and crumbly, and generally oated with icing sugar. The Havanna version here the biscuits are a little darker, and denser. So good it's bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment