Thursday 5 July 2012

Carrot cake cookies


Just to prove I have not completely neglected my oven, here is a little taste of what we have been enjoying in our household of late. I love these cookies, but restrict myself to only baking them for very special occasions, and a friend's baby shower was the perfect excuse to bring them out... much to my husband's delight. This is a recipe my sister gave me, and I am sorry I can't credit it more than that (though if you knew my sister and her amazing baking that would be credit enough), and these little morsels are always a winner. There is just something about the fluffy cream cheese filling sandwiched between those soft, cakey cookies that is a real treat to devour.

Ingredients:
  • 250gm softened butter
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 ½ cups self raising flour
  • ½ teaspoon all spice
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 cups rolled oats
  • 1 ½ cups grated carrot
  • ½ cup sultanas
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder
  • ¼ cup chopped pecan nuts
Filling:
  • 50gm butter, softened
  • 75gm cream cheese
  • 1 teaspoon orange zest
  • 2/3 cup icing sugar (sifted) 
  1. Preheat oven to 180°C, and line 3 trays with baking paper.
  2. Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  3. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat well.
  4. Stir in sifted flour, baking powder, all spice and cinnamon.
  5. Add all remaining ingredients and stir until well combined.
  6. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
  7. Roll into balls (tablespoon size balls for big cookies/ dessert spoon size for a smaller treat), and place an inch apart on lined baking tray.
  8. Bake for 12-20 minutes, depending on size, or until lightly browned.
  9. Cool completely on wire racks.
  10. Combine all filling ingredients until fluffy. Add more icing sugar to taste if you need it.
  11. Sandwich biscuits together with the frosting, and dust with icing sugar.
I did dessert spoon size this time, and got about 30 of the completed cookies (60 individual biscuits).

I hope you enjoy these as much as we do.
xx 

No comments:

Post a Comment