Saturday 5 April 2014

A 2nd birthday garden party


Last weekend we had the glorious event of our 'baby' girl turning 2. Where the last 2 years have gone I am not entirely sure, but never the less this occasion called for a party. We had been away for Ruby's first birthday, so decided this year we would take the opportunity to invite some of those special people who have offered us great support, advice and friendship these past two years to help us share in the joy that is our Ruby.
Ruby loves being outside. She loves getting into the garden with her dad, and so we decided a little garden themed party would be just the thing. Thank goodness for Pinterest, and all the brilliant ideas floating about, as I doubt I could have pulled this off without it (or my amazing support crew aka my incredible family).

Being my first theme party, I was at a bit of a loss as to where to begin, but in the end it was simple. It all started with a cake... 
Now, this also being my first attempt at a cake that actually looks like something I wanted to keep it relatively easy - no piping, no shaping or cutting of cakes, and this little beauty was exactly what I needed. Thank you Australian Womens Weekly!
For the rest of the food we had spinach and feta and cheesymite pastry scrolls, homemade sausage rolls, sandwiches, sushi, chicken dippers, veggie sticks and dip, and ladybird crackers for savoury, and rice krispie bugs, sugar cookies, some amazing whole food refined sugar free sweeties from our talented friends at Dee_lightful Doings, and some sweet little ladybird and bee chocolates for decoration (all of which Ruby herself managed to comsume).

 

To set the scene we went with some cute spotty balloons and streamers in red, yellow and green inside the house, and paper pom poms in the same colours clustered outside. I bought some fake grass at our local Bunnings, and cut this to make a table runner (I am already thinking what other themes this may be of use for in future). My favourite thing of the day was the 'happy birthday' banner I made. I do not see myself as particularly creative. I can usually copy an idea, though always with variable success (see our rice krispie bugs above), however this was one occasion I actually envisioned something myself, made it, and it turned exactly as I had imagined, almost better in fact. Major win. 

To keep our wee ones amused, we had had a 'build a bug' station, where they could assemble a critter to take home from an assortment of painted egg cartons, pipe cleaners, pom poms, stick on googly eyes and wings. Printable sign courtesy of Sugar Tots Design.


 
We also had the children plant a seedling in a little terracotta pot to take home instead of a lolly bag. They may have been a little too young for this, though my nieces and nephews seemed to enjoy it, they being a little bit older. Ruby loved it too.


We were fortunate it was such a glorious day, warm and sunny and full of Autumn promise. And how do my husband and I celebrate a successful party, all cleaned up, and a sleeping toddler? A glass of bubbles in the evening sun.



Life in our world is very, very good! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment