Monday 24 March 2014

Homemade Granola


My apologies, dear blog, for being so neglectful to you these past months. I'm not even going to think how long it has been, but somewhere between raising (wrangling?) a toddler, working 3-4 days a week, contributing to some local groups, having something resembling a social life, and trying to find time in all this for some exercise and healthy eating, well I am afraid time for myself, the time to sit down with a cup of tea and share something in this space, has been impossible to find.
But I am working on trying to get more balance in my life. Balance between what I want and need, and what is wanted and needed from me. This last year has seen some very positive changes in my lifestyle. I have lost, and kept off, about 10kg and am very much enjoying life in the healthy weight range. But balance here is also tricky. Balance between low-calorie healthy meals and healthy wholefood options, and then trying to find the happy medium somewhere in middle.
One yummy breakfast our family of three has been loving lately is fresh fruit salad topped with yoghurt and granola. In an effort to reduce packaging, and have more control over what is in what we are eating, I have been making my own granola of late, and we are all pretty keen on it. Ruby asks for "yoghurt with crunchies" for her breakfast and devours it in a flash.

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups rolled oats
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
  • 3/4 cups of chopped raw almonds
  • 1/2 cup pepitas
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup (I have also used agarve syrup, but use a little less of that one)
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 tbs coconut oil (melted)
  • 1 cup caramelised buckwheat (optional - add in after toasting, I use 'Loving Earth Caramelised Buckinis')
  1. Preheat oven to 150℃, and line two large baking sheets with baking paper
  2. Combine oats, coconut, cinnamon, almonds and pepitas in a large mixing bowl
  3. Combine melted oil, vanilla and syrup in a small bowl
  4. Now just mix it all together really well, so everything is kind of glossy and has a little shine to it
  5. Spread out onto the two trays in thin layers
  6. Bake for 30 minutes, turning everything over with a spatula every 10 minutes, or until evenly golden brown.
  7. Allow to cool completely before stirring through the caramelised buckwheat, then store in a large airtight container. It should keep for a few weeks... ours never lasts that long though.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment