Friday 23 September 2011

Returning to the kitchen

I will need to apologise for my blogging silence the last few months. In response to a slightly exhausting first trimester of pregnancy, I have struggled for both the motivation and inspiration to cook or eat much of any real interest, and I somehow doubt that all the crumpets with cheese, or bowls of tinned peaches, would make for very stimulating reading.
However, I now feel we're coming out the other side and my appetite for being in the kitchen is returning and, after several weeks of blandness, I felt that we all were well in need of a veggie fix.
This spaghetti is a favourite that my mum has made before, and when I can justify creamy pasta to myself I love it. I have also cooked it when I've made gnocchi and it's a great combination.
Zucchini, snow peas, green peas, broccoli, and mushrooms in a sauce of cream, chicken stock, Parmesan and basil (I used mint basil this time as we had some fresh here and it was a great addition). The little gem here lies in the tomato garnish. Vine ripened cherry tomatoes, lightly cooked in oil, garlic and parsley, until they just burst open a little, provide a burst of flavour and freshness that works really well with the creamy sauce. I love those little guys.


No comments:

Post a Comment